Thursday, April 22, 2021

Grammarian @ Another Club


#139 


Finally it pays off to be a Grammar Nazi!! Being invited to be a Grammarian in one of the meetings in another Toastmasters club was an amazing experience! It was on a Wednesday evening, 6pm, after a long, hard day at work. What a refreshing night that was. The meeting was supposed to end by 8pm but it spilled over another 30 minutes but I didn't mind. Interacting with new folks who were smart yet humble, warm and welcoming, made my day (night, rather).

I chose the WOTD as 'rejuvenate,' as I predicted my mind would feel the same on attending that meeting, and boy it did. 

Here's my (super-)detailed report:
(Please note, actual names of TMs have been replaced with letters to maintain anonymity).

First of all, I would like to thank you all for this opportunity. Having joined TM only two months ago, this is my first time as grammarian and I must say, I was blown away. I found many excellent usages today so, please bear with me if my report takes a tad long :)

Coming to the good usages:


TM A - 1 usage of WOTD
  • affirmations
  • unstoppable
  • seasoned
  • enduring
  • whatever it takes
  • mystic
  • universal solvent

TM B - 1 usage
  • quarter-life crisis
  • i was as confused as i was excited - nice simile there
  • virtual high-five
  • took a toll on me
  • spiral
  • amidst
  • unimpressed
  • 20-something
  • markers of independence
  • live in the moment
  • mad rush

TM C
  • candid
  • egotist
  • flourishing
  • dejected
  • toil
  • worked like a bachelor
  • eating humble pie
  • pose a challenge
  • be the bigger person

TM D - 3 usages
  • trembling with fear
  • dignitaries
  • nuances
  • righteous
  • effectively handle
  • specialized
  • tried my level-best
  • proficiency in professional speaking - nice alliteration there
  • emerging TMs

TM E - 2 usages
  • unprecedented
  • ascent
  • time is endless
  • adapted
  • serious series person - nice word play there

TM F -
  • sincerity
  • biggest highlights
  • dedication
  • super presenter

TM G -
  • crystal clear
  • jovial
  • one with the speech
  • internal monologue
  • intonation

TM H -
  • relatable
  • dilemma
  • articulated
  • out of nowhere
  • top-notch
  • key takeaway
  • in a nutshell

Not so good usages:
  • every TM and not every TMs
  • self-analyzed and not self-analyzed me
  • made me understand and not made me to understand
  • eating humble pie and not eating a humble pie
  • objectives are and not objectives is
  • excited to be graduating not graduated
  • flying abroad not flying to abroad
  • running out of time not the time
  • uncertainty not uncertainity
  • knowledge not knowledges
  • i don't not i doesn't
  • (juh) gestures and not (guh) gestures
  • pronunciation and not pronounciation
  • graduate not get graduated
  • stuff not stuffs
  • feel stuck and not feel like stuck

Being a grammarian is so fun!
Icing on the cake - I won best TAG player!



No comments:

Post a Comment