Thursday, September 9, 2021

Snippets from a Meditation Course - Week 2


#162


During the second week, the Aro Meditation course walked through obstacles and their antidotes. It spoke about being persistent with the endeavour of meditating as the so-called obstacle and the antidote as the gentleness with which your mind must try to approach meditation. In the first week, sitting with the spine straight was no cake walk. However, it became easier in the second week. Sometimes sitting cross-legged worked, while other times Vajrasan worked best.

The subsequent weeks spoke about thoughts - from forcing thoughts out of the mind to remaining without any thoughts whatsoever to following a train of thought that arises in the mind. There are myriad techniques, so it is important to choose one that resonates with you. For me, following the simple train of thought helps. Over time, I've learnt to slow the train down so I can become aware of each thought that comes and goes by and how it makes me feel. 

Other times, I meditate about meditating. I try to observe and find the 'why' of meditation. What do I hope to achieve out of meditating ten minutes every morning? I have also tried to vary the time of meditation - sometimes mornings work best, other days I meditate at night to help me fall asleep. On weekends, I meditate twice a day and dive deeper into finding the 'why'. It helps me focus, it helps me concentrate at work, on my blog, and more. I start becoming more mindful of tasks like cooking, brushing, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment