Thursday, August 20, 2026

Conflict and repair

#281

"The best fighter is never angry." — Lao Tzu

My partner and I had a disagreement a few weeks ago over something so small I'm almost embarrassed to write it down- it was about taking the trash out. But honestly, it doesn't matter what it was; what matters is that ten minutes in, we weren't actually arguing about the thing anymore. We were arguing about being right. Voices a notch sharper, and both of us digging into positions neither of us fully believed, just to avoid being the one who backed down first.


A day or two after the instance, during a moment of self-reflection, I pondered things like- what was I even defending during the argument? Was it the original thing or my ego stemming from my need to not be the one who folds first because of my belief to be in the right?

I used to think a good relationship meant fewer fights. Turns out one of its aspects is faster repair. The couples who never disagree aren't necessarily healthier. They often might be avoiding something, or one person has quietly stopped bringing things up at all. The actual skill isn't conflict-avoidance. It's knowing how to stay in the room, stay yourself, and still care about the person across from you while you're both a little annoyed.


There's a researcher named John Gottman who teaches at UW and has spent decades studying couples, watching them argue in a lab, tracking who stayed together and who split. His finding wasn't that stable couples fight less. It's that they're better at what he calls "repair attempts". These are small moves, sometimes just a joke or a hand on an arm, that de-escalate a fight before it turns into contempt.

Contempt looks like an eye-roll, a sarcastic jab, or mocking your partner's point mid-sentence. A repair attempt looks like the opposite: a joke, a hand on an arm, sometimes just admitting out loud that you're both being ridiculous. The couples who last aren't the ones without friction but rather the ones who know how to hit the brakes.


I'm glad to have become more aware about these things nowadays. The fix has almost become unglamorous- some days, it's a simple "can we start over." Other days it's even simpler: "I think we've shifted topics." My favorite ones are where one of us comes up with a clever joke or pun to diffuse the situation instantly.

What do you do in the ninety seconds after things get a bit fraught- Do you dig in, look for the exit ramp, or something else entirely?



No comments:

Post a Comment