#286
My face went to war with itself last month. A cyst had bloomed beneath my lip- one of those angry, pus-filled things that hurt to touch. By next morning it was a throbbing yellow beacon. By evening, after twelve hours in ninety-degree heat, it was oozing. I picked at it (yes, I know better). It cleared in real time. Now it's just a scabbed reminder that skin is deeply, brutally biological.
For the past year, I've been chasing the acne fix like a technical problem with a clean solution. Cut dairy (#260). Lift three times a week. Eat real food. Get sleep. And yet, despite doing everything the dermatologist and every wellness influencers prescribed, my skin got worse, not better.
Of course acne isn't a single variable equation. I dug deeper to find solace.
A dermatologist gave me topical creams and benzoyl peroxide face wash, and explained to me what happens when using tretinoin. It is a vitamin A derivative that rewires how skin cells behave. Your skin gets angry first. Irritated, flaky, breakout-prone. The instinct is to stop. I almost did. But she said: "You have to get past the hump." The temporary peeling off is the skin purging damaged cells and rebuilding. I learned that retinol products focus on faster skin turnover.
How they do this: bacteria live in your pores like uninvited roommates. Your immune system sends white blood cells to evict them. Pus is what's left over: dead bacteria and dead WBC soldiers. It's your body doing its job, just messily.
I started retinizing last week. My face looks worse than it did in week one. But understanding the mechanism makes it less personal and slightly more motivating. I reassure myself that my skin isn't betraying me but rather just rebuilding, albeit slower than I'd like.
The Stoics have a concept called "amor fati". It means loving your fate. A lot of things in life get worse before they get better. Acupuncture. Physical therapy. Learning an instrument. My face care journey, no exception. The discomfort isn't a sign you're doing it wrong. Sometimes it's proof you're doing it right.
Self-care isn't always comfortable. Sometimes it's investing in a cream that stings, or a dermatologist appointment that costs real money, or sitting with your face looking worse while collagen rewires underneath.
The temporary chaos is the price of actual change.
Just when the reading was getting heavy, like a pro- skin care type/ came the lovely line that said....Self Care isnt always comfortable. My takeaway from this post - temporary chaos is price of actual change.
ReplyDeleteI wrote about the beauty of scars about 15 years ago, including a nursery rhyme rewrite (Twinkle Twinkle).
ReplyDelete