Sunday, December 26, 2021

Mindless Scrolling


#198


With TikTok viewership on the rise especially during the pandemic, I feel we've resorted to watching brainless things even more. When I'm burnt out from work or just want something super lightweight to watch, I tend to aimlessly scroll through YouTube Shorts after I forced myself to uninstall Instagram due to mind-numbing reels.

Well, that didn't work out too well, now did it? Since the same content came up in Shorts too. For instance, watching multiple guys and girls reading random funny tweets, laughing and commenting, stating 'fun facts' which turn out to be not-so-fun while pouring water out of a bottle for no reason at all, and utterly useless 'fails of 2020' clips with the 'oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no' bg music that had gone viral and I suppose still is.

My phone is so smart that it doesn't even have an 'uninstall' option for YouTube and Netflix, but luckily has a 'disable' option instead. Despite all these measures, I do feel ashamed when I give in to temptation and continuously watch these clips for at least an hour. I feel annoyed at myself for not exercising self-control, but at the same time not be able to get myself out of this rut. 

Maybe it'll change, maybe it won't. I just hope I can get myself to watch at least something slightly useful and move away from toxic asininity.


No comments:

Post a Comment