Monday, April 20, 2020

April A-Z Challenge: A Tale of Four Cities [I]

Blog entry #9

Ink pen | Idhedho baagundhe cheli | ITC Grand Chola | Indiranagar


Ink pen (Mumbai)
Grades one to four, we wrote our homework only in pencil. Grade 5 onwards, we were introduced to 'The Pen'. No erasing this time, only ugly strikethroughs! In the 7th grade, my Mom bought me an ink pen. It was such a royal experience! Holding it, writing with it, ensuring you don’t jerk it else removing the stain would be troublesome. When writing with the ink pen, my handwriting automatically turned into a neat, cursive, flowy sort. I felt like a high-post officer signing a deal. I think that’s how they showed it in movies. Someday, I’d also like to try writing with a feather!

Idhedho baagundhe cheli (Hyderabad)
Listening to this song takes me back to my room 363, where my best friend Shirin would come over to study. She’d play songs on her phone while studying, and I got to listen to Telugu songs like the one mentioned in the title, Tamil songs like Yaar indha saalai oram, and old Hindi songs like Abhi na jao chhod kar. When this song recently showed up in my youtube music feed, I texted her, and we took a trip down nostalgia lane, talking for hours.

ITC Grand Chola (Chennai)
Thanks to my Aunt and Uncle, I’ve had the opportunity to visit this wonderful fine dining place and try out 5-star food from different restaurants. At Royal Vega, you’re served rich Thali food on heavy silverware. At Peshawari, you indulge in well-made North Indian food - Paneer Tikka, Amritsari Kulcha, and Dal Makhani. At Cafe Mercara Express, do order the exotic pasta and the hot chocolate dusted with cinnamon powder. If you’re up to try some chilled noodles, go to Pan Asian. Our most recent and the best experience was with Avartana - you get to choose among a 9, 11 or 13-course meal, each course containing small portions of South Indian food, and of course, unlimited refills of coriander-infused Rasam in a wine glass. Apart from dressing for the occasion, I’d recall all that was learnt in the etiquette lesson I took once in 6th grade to cut up the paneer pieces using a fork and knife with finesse.

Indiranagar
Known for its pubs, it was a hub for me to meet my friends staying in far away places like Koramangala and Marathahalli (as you know, even a few kilometres distance is far away in Bangalore). Toit, Sherlock’s, Three dots and a dash, Bottle and glass, and so many more! But the only one I’ve been to is Tippler, that too for their mac and cheese. There are also a variety of restaurants serving different cuisines on 100 feet road, like Burma Burma and Bhartiya Jalpan. Man, I’m so happy to be a foodie!

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment