Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April A-Z Challenge: A Tale of Four Cities [Z]

Blog entry #26

Zoom out | ZNMD | Zelda | Zebra crossing


Zoom out
It’s been close to seven years since we’ve permanently moved out of Mumbai. Being a Mumbaikar has been in our blood right from the day we were born. We couldn’t imagine settling elsewhere. Now look at us - hustling with the auto guys in Kannada, driving like a Bangalorean, speaking English in a Chennai accent, cooking with different species of vegetables, getting accustomed to hard water spoiling our buckets and leaving a white trail, and what not. But most of all, our bond with our closest ones have gotten nothing but stronger. They’re stronger than they’ve ever been, the visits have increased, the laughter echoes from Bangalore to Chennai and back, and the tales of togetherness to be cherished for the years to come. Zooming out, it’s been a wonderful journey overall, not just the transition, but also the transformation.

ZNMD (Hyderabad)
Acronym of the movie Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, it’s the Hindi version of YOLO (see my previous post), but involving memories created with your close friends. Although I didn’t hang out as much with my wingies (that’s what we called our friends living in the same corridor or wing) in my first two years, I went out with them during the last two years. I’m glad I did so. We were just friends then, but now we’re the best of friends in a close-knit group. We’re all in different cities and different jobs now, but once in a while, we get together on video call - sometimes chatting, other times playing online Pictionary and having the time of our lives!

Zelda
A feminine form of the Yiddish word 'Selig’, meaning 'happy and blessed', this is exactly my state of mind here at home in Chennai. I feel lucky due to the wheel of fortune having spun in my favour. I am thankful for all the goodness that has been bestowed upon me. I hope to remain humble and filled with gratitude for the opportunities I’ve received in this wonderful city. I hope to do my part of making others feel 'Zelda' or 'Selig' to the best of my ability.
(Bet you thought I was going to mention The Legend of Zelda here :P)

Zebra crossing
If any of you have ever seen or spotted a Zebra crossing in Bangalore, please do let me know. I’ve seen them in Mumbai, in Hyderabad, in Chennai, and in cities like Delhi, wherein I’ve only been to CP for a couple of hours for shopping before continuing to another place. But I guess to have a zebra crossing, the prerequisites are - one, have clearly demarcated two opposite sides to a road. Two, have a road wide enough where you can paint more than one line of the zebra crossing. Three, have a fully paved road that isn’t under construction so that the zebra crossing can be seen as straight lines, without any undulation. Four, and the most important saved for the last - learn to respect signals: red means stop. Only then will the zebra crossing even make sense in the first place!

The End? Not quite.
Wait for my upcoming bonus post on A Tale of Four Cities tomorrow.

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment