Thursday, April 30, 2020

April A-Z Challenge: A Tale of Four Interchanged Cities [Bonus]

Blog entry #27

'Hyderabad'i zafrani pulav | 'Bangalore' days | 'Bombay' Brasserie | 'Chennai' super kings


'Hyderabad'i zafrani pulav (Mumbai)
If you’ve watched the Hindi movie Cheeni Kum starring Amitabh and Tabu, you’ll know there’s a scene where the dish that the chef is most proud of - his Hyderabadi Zafrani Pulav, is returned by a waiter with bunny teeth and a queer accent. Post watching the movie, we returned home and every time Mom made pulav, Dad and I would ask her in the very same accent: "Is this Hyderabadi Zafrani Pulav?"

'Bangalore' days
DC++ was the intranet-based software students used in BITS Hyderabad to share software, games, e-books, movies, TV shows, and more. We would eagerly await new releases, mostly for English and Hindi movies, occasionally for other language movies we’ve heard about from our friends. In 2014, we waited for the newly released Malayalam movie Bangalore Days to be available on DC. But since this was in Malayalam, we also had to wait long enough for the subtitles to be uploaded! Although it seemed like a one-time watch to me at the time, I’ve ended up seeing it multiple times after.

'Bombay' Brasserie
I’ve been to this restaurant thrice, but only to the Adyar branch in Chennai. This place serves Mughlai cuisine and has a live kitchen concept, similar to what’s adopted in 5-star restaurants like ITC (see my post on I). In 2017, I celebrated my birthday here. We were quite a large group and it was a fun-filled evening!

'Chennai' super kings
Are you crazy about IPL? Me - not so much. But Akhilesh is and so is my Uncle. We were at their house in Bangalore during the finals, and guess who were the two teams? RCB and CSK! While Akhilesh was obviously rooting for Chennai Super Kings and my Uncle was obviously rooting for Royal Challengers Bangalore, the rest of us were rooting for the decibel levels of their yelling and thereby our ordeal, to alleviate. Despite the noise, watching tournaments or matches together is fun when in a group, or as a family. Good times!

With that, my very first blogging challenge comes to an end. I don’t know about you, but I had a great time writing all of these tales. Can’t wait to begin the next journey!

Image courtesy: Google ©

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Loved this bonus post. Waiting to see what next comes up on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I visit Chennai will surely check out Bombay Brasserie.

    ReplyDelete