Sunday, April 26, 2020

April A-Z Challenge: A Tale of Four Cities [T]

Blog entry #20

Tikuji-ni-wadi | The Viva | Thendral | Thippasandra


Tikuji-ni-wadi
Not just an amusement park, but also a water park, going to Tikujiniwadi located in Thane, Mumbai, has been one of the fun weekend activities to pursue with cousins. Our school also took us once on a weekday, and we enjoyed ourselves to the fullest. Amusement parks are rightly named - they amuse me greatly! Roller coasters, water slides, giant wheel, dashing cars, spaceship, dragon ride, lazy river, wave pool, and spinning tea cups. Going on every ride more than once. Wishing the day never ended. Not wanting to come out of playing in the water. All of these form a crucial part of my memorabilia of a wonderful, screen-less childhood.

The Viva
If you haven’t seen this video already, just take 13 minutes out of your day to watch it. It’s hilarious! It’s in Telugu, but the video has subtitles, so you’re covered. Akhilesh and I have watched it umpteen times, yet we still laugh out loud like the first time we watched it. Despite knowing each and every dialogue, each and every gesticulation, we’re never bored of it. We even re-enact some of the typical answers or mannerisms depicted in the video during our conversations. Do check it out, it’s bound to crack you up.

Thendral
The word for 'breeze' in Tamil, two of my favourite Tamil songs start with "Thendral Vandhu", namely Thendral Vandhu Theendum Bodhu and Thendral Vandhu Ennai ThodumBeing a Scrabble player and a language lover, I have a list of words I can call my "favourite." In Tamil, this is one such word.
(P.S. April is coming to an end, so is my challenge along with it. Could this be a way to start a new challenge in May, with a list of my favourite words? Stay tuned.)

Thippasandra
Known for street shopping and street food, this place in Bangalore reminds me of Gandhi Market in Mumbai. I’ve had chutney sandwich from the stalls and Mosambi (sweet lime) juice from the juice shop here. Moreover, every time my aunt from the US visits, we go to the Rajasthani guy at the end of the street. He not only speaks impeccable Kannada but is also swift and artistic in drawing Mehendi. Within ten minutes, my aunt, her daughter, and I, come back to my grandparents’ house with different designs drawn on our palms. I hope this mini-ritual continues for the years to come.

Image courtesy: Google ©

1 comment:

  1. Tikuji-ni-wadi- The moment I saw this name - I started humming it's ad song. This amusement park used to get advertised regularly & I can recall it's tune.

    The other name I remember along with this is Kishkinta!!

    ReplyDelete