Tuesday, April 21, 2020

April A-Z Challenge: A Tale of Four Cities [L]

Blog entry #12

Le cafe | Leonia | Lucky da Dhaba | Look out for the elephant 


Le cafe
This cafe was walkable from our building in Chembur, Mumbai. My friends and I have been here a couple of times, once when I gave them a treat. The fun part was also walking and talking in pairs, as we were a big group of 10 members. Once we were there, the first thing we’d order is a fondue bucket. Whatever snack or food we ordered, everything would be dipped into the cheesy fondue before it went into our mouth. Nachos, sandwiches, and fries. Not sure if any other place serves something like this…

Leonia
In lieu of staying in the popular and closer Alankrita Resorts (near my campus in Hyderabad), every time my parents visited, we’d stay in Leonia Resorts. It was a better experience in terms of the sumptuous breakfast they offered - I could eat 2 of the perfectly prepared masala omelettes each time, and more! Leonia also has a movie theatre, and although I didn’t go there with my parents, I sure did with my friends. Staying in Leonia over the weekend was a refreshing break for me from staying the hostel as usual. And of course, better company ;)

Lucky da Dhaba
This place was not like any other Punjabi Dhaba. Quite a small place, it was always crammed, probably because of its smart location opposite 3 IT parks in Chennai. Whenever one of my teammates had to treat the rest of us, it was always this place when we were too hungry to wait for our orders in Cheesy Juicy Burgers, located right opposite our office, with one poor soul managing the entire place. In Lucky da Dhaba, I always ordered the Cheese Paratha, along with any of the subzis, all of which I found spicy. This guy would also serve you masala chaas (buttermilk) in a beer bottle - ekdamm isshtyle mein! (in total style!) But once his competitor Kake da Dhaba opened much closer to 2 of the IT parks, we started going there more often. Hope Lucky doesn’t have to push his luck too far to continue being in business. Good luck to him!

Look out for the elephant 
Once we moved to Bangalore, all my books which were in my room back in Mumbai, were now scattered across the different bookshelves available in the new house. Sometimes when I like to just wander around the house picking up random books I haven’t read before, I turn it around to read the synopsis to see if I should borrow it from Dad. One day, a book that my parents bought me when I was in grade 4 caught my eye. It’s called "Look out for the elephant and other stories" - no points for guessing the author - Enid Blyton, of course. When I sat and flipped through its pages, I was surprised to find I could recall each and every story in that book. And the phrase which stayed with me all these years - "Shut the door Greenie, shut it!" Enid Blyton - she makes you visualise everything that’s happening as if you were there, and things were taking place around you. I also remember certain stories from the O’Clock Tales I read - 5 through 8. If you take your kid to a bookstore sometime and you spot this ol’ book, be sure to pick it up, it contains a wide variety of imaginative stories.

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment