Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April A-Z Challenge: A Tale of Four Cities [Y]

Blog entry #25

Yippee Ki-Yay | #YOLO | Yanni | Ypr Chennai Express


Yippee Ki-Yay (Mumbai)
Fascinated by quirky phrases learnt from different cultures, I came across this cowboy celebratory exclamation from an episode of Hannah Montana, pronounced "Yi-puh-kah-ye" or "Yi-pee-kah-ye". (I didn’t watch Die Hard until much later). I don’t think I’ve eaten dinner without being in front of the TV - I was a major addict. Still am - only now I don’t have a TV. I just fire up Netflix on my laptop. Who needs TV when you can binge-watch shows at a slightly faster speed? Yippee-ki-yay!

#YOLO (Hyderabad)
Borrowing a phrase from the millennial way of life, YOLO (you only live once) and FOMO (fear of missing out) are seen and experienced in bulk on campus. Wanting to be part of groups, trying out funky things never done before, being one of the "cool" members in the gang, all these are commonplace among those trying to "fit in". But my idea of #YOLO was to say yes to new opportunities, and I am grateful for all the knowledge and experience I gained from participating in various extra-curricular activities and playing a major role in organising events.

Yanni
Yanni is awesome! If you’re unable to focus on your work during WFH times, which might extend for another five months here in Chennai, switch to instrumental music. Yiannis Chryssomallis is a Greek composer, whose stage name is Yanni. Two of my favourite compositions of his orchestra are "Violin vs Saxophone", titled "Playtime," and "The Storm." Listening to these two, sometimes in loop, energise me and make me work with maximum productivity. Do listen to them sometime.

Ypr Chennai Express
On the days I decide to travel to Bangalore in the last moment, the Mail would obviously not be available, it’s the most popularly booked train. I also wouldn’t want the same Shatabdi food again. So which is the next best train suited to my timings? It’s the Ypr Chennai Express - Ypr shortened from Yesvantpur, a place 12 kilometres from Bangalore. It runs only on Fridays, perfect for me - starts after 11pm and reaches Bangalore the next morning at around 5am. On those Saturday mornings, I feel like I’ve gained extra time to talk to Mom and Dad, since if I’d taken the Shatabdi and reached on Friday night, I’d sleep in till 7am on Saturday and lose those precious two hours!

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment