Wednesday, April 22, 2020

April A-Z Challenge: A Tale of Four Cities [M]

Blog entry #13

Miley jab hum tum | Mayabazar | Mahamudra | Mayur Paradise


Miley jab hum tum (Mumbai)
I’d watch this 8pm show every night when I was in grades 8 and 9. It was perfect for sitting in front of the TV while having dinner. 7:30-8pm was reserved for That’s So Raven on Disney. Mom too, would sit with me and watch this show. I not only recall their character names - Samrat and Gunjan (the actors got married in real life too!), Mayank and Nupur, Dia and Dodo (aka Uday Bhaiyya), but also the songs that were played frequently, or rather sung by the character Gunjan - "Yeh Zindagi" and "Kya Hua Yeh". This show was simple and sweet, along with light romance. And one did not see hardcore revenge-seeking villainous characters, as you do in serials today. Wish we could bring simplicity and cuteness back to TV!

Mayabazar
Mayabazar (meaning: market of illusions) was my first theme-based restaurant in Hyderabad. (The first theme-based restaurant I went to in Chennai was Kaidi’s Kitchen). The restaurant was named after the 1957 epic fantasy movie of the same name. The menu was typically Mughlai - we’d order a biryani, or roti, subzi and raita. This was a slightly pricey restaurant for us during hostel days, and we’d have to take a bus to Karkhana, which was farther away and took 45 minutes. So, coming to Mayabazar was a luxury, you could say. Ah, hostel days. Teaches you frugality, among other things.

Mahamudra
Located in Mylapore in Chennai, this is a restaurant started by Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. I’ve been here once, along with my parents, aunt and grandparents. Akhilesh and I were not yet married then, but everyone knew about him. So, when we glanced through the menu and under rotis, we spotted 'Akki roti', my granny started teasing me, saying: "I bet you’d order this!" :P We enjoyed eating sattvic food here, for a change. The restaurant had a pleasant ambience, and we visited the exhibition downstairs of hand-crafted items post lunch.

Mayur Paradise
When my grandparents shifted from Bombay to Bangalore, this was their home. When my parents shifted to Bangalore, they chose a place that took about 12 minutes by car to reach here. Due to unplanned constructions near Mayur Paradise (MP), the roads started deteriorating, and stayed that way. Somehow, the number of speed bumps along the way also increased. So, earlier I would be excited to drive Dad’s car from home to MP or back. These days, all three of us get excited to walk there, even though it takes 45 minutes! It’s totally worth it, since we get to walk on the pavements within DRDO, and under the shades of trees.

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment