Friday, April 17, 2020

April A-Z Challenge: A Tale of Four Cities [F]

Blog entry #6

Fine Arts | 'Fest'ival | Flower drum | Fatty Bao


Fine Arts
On shifting from Ghatkopar to Chembur in Mumbai, I had to change my Carnatic singing classes location from Rasika Ranjani Sabha to Fine Arts. Fine Arts was a much bigger place, it had auditoriums, and we’d go for retro shows like 'Tribute to Kishore Da' and Ghulam Ali’s performance. Rasika Ranjani Sabha was a small place, more like a couple of rooms, one of which was used for singing, and the other for dance. Fine Arts had a variety of classes - singing, dancing, musical instruments like violin, tabla, flute, and also summer workshops for learning magic, and more. If you visit their website, you’ll see how many eminent personalities have taken the stage in this marvellous cultural centre.

'Fest'ival (Hyderabad)
Fests in my college were almost like a true festival - ample celebrations, different communities coming together for a purpose, no classes during those 3 days, and some sort of ritual to kick off each fest. Each year, we had 3 very different kinds of fests - in this order: technical (Atmos) in August, sports (Arena) in the start of February, and cultural (Pearl) in March. Each of the three BITS campuses had their own names for each fest. For my first two years, I enjoyed participating with my friends in various workshops, activities and being in the audience, enjoying bands perform. In the third year, I was the head of the department of photography for the technical fest, and I enjoyed that role just as much as being a general participant. My role involved assigning photographers to cover events, and ensuring sorted and edited pictures were uploaded on the dedicated Fb page in a timely manner. It was a good test of my management skills, since I had to ensure not a single event missed coverage, and also that each photographer got a chance to go out there and display their skills. I got to learn a lot, and I must say, in the end I think I enjoyed this experience much more than just being in the audience.

Flower drum
My husband and I stayed in Thoraipakkam for about a year, before we moved into the heart of Chennai city. We’d eat out a lot, but usually in places on the other side of the toll. Two weeks before moving out, we decided to explore eating at a restaurant in Thoraipakkam itself, something which we hadn’t done despite living in the same suburb. Flower drum was at a walkable distance from our place, just over a kilometre, and we enjoyed a fulfilling dinner there, along with a view of the OMR highway, all lit up at night. The food was great, and that’s probably one of the only good memories we’ll have of that place. Glad to have gone there.

Fatty Bao
I think this was one of the few times my parents and I went out in Bangalore, just the three of us, since I always prefer Mom’s food whenever I went home so I wouldn’t agree to go out for lunch or dinner. I don’t remember what we ate, and the lighting was so dim I don’t think I even saw what I ate, but I recall having a great time there - it was one of the initial days of my parents having moved to Bangalore, while I was interning in Chennai. We were sitting at a round table, so we were all facing each other, as opposed to the conventional 2 people on one side, and the third on the opposite. It felt like three people suddenly put in different places, different circumstances, and coping with adjusting to a new environment, coming together to find solace in each other’s company.

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment