Tuesday, May 26, 2020

May A-Z Challenge: A Pair of Favourite English Words [W]

Blog entry #51

Winner | Whetstone


Winner
"Winner winner, Kofta dinner" - modified the usual phrase because I'm a vegetarian and also, I like Kofta. Winner to me after 2012 resonated only with one person, and that's Harvey Specter. In school we were taught "winning isn't everything, participation is just as good." But after marrying a highly competitive chess-player, I've learnt from him that "winning isn't everything. It is the ONLY thing." My husband keeps telling me: "if you play, play to win. There's no other way." Over time, I've learnt to become more competitive not only when playing tournaments but also in general, and I've come to realize, it sometimes helps me find purpose in what I'm doing, my Ikigai.

Whetstone
I thoroughly enjoyed learning Shakespeare's play As You Like It for my English Literature class in grades nine and ten. No one was happier than me to know that my year was the first batch to study this short, fun play whereas until now, every batch had to study the tragedy Julius Caesar. What's better than studying a witty comedy over the myriad tragedies written by Shakespeare, all of them depressing or gory? Among obviously learning all of the new phrases introduced by the Bard of Avon and trying to interpret the several meanings within his sonnets and quips, 'whetstone' was one interesting word I recall. In the play, when the court jester Touchstone’s "wisdom" is questioned, it elicits the Duke's daughter Celia to remark, "the dullness of the fool is the whetstone of the wits." Google its interpretation if you're interested!

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment