Friday, May 8, 2020

May A-Z Challenge: A Pair of Favourite English Words [E]

Blog entry #33

Entomology | Exquisite


Entomology
When I was in the second grade, my parents bought me games that were fun to play and tickled the brain. One of them was Reader Rabbit, about improving your vocabulary, and the other was this Insect Game, where they taught you about insect parts. Entomology is the study of insects, and I learnt to label all the insect parts with that game - head, abdomen, thorax, antenna, and wings. The insect teacher that went "En-to-mology" in a deep, male voice still echoes in my ears. 

Exquisite
Containing both an X and a Q, this would be a high-scoring Scrabble word, but a rare 9-letter one to actually be formed on the board. Saying this word out loud puts you in a luxurious fine dining restaurant with the server saying "The wines we have are exquisite." It’s a nice word with the plosives (see my post on S for its mention) balanced between the vowel sounds and one fricative. Phonetics is a fun subject to explore!

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment