Thursday, May 21, 2020

May A-Z Challenge: A Pair of Favourite English Words [R]



Blog entry #46

Resilience | Raptor


Resilience
This word is synonymous to "bouncing back." Check out my latest post here to read a summary of a book with the same name. The idea of bouncing back reminds me of a trampoline, and the Mickey Mouse bouncy I’ve bounced in at birthday parties. Being resilient did not come naturally to me, but through serious practice, and help from my loved ones, I can say I’m fairly good at handling crisis situations nowadays, springing myself back to positivity, and focusing on finding solutions.

Raptor
This word should actually be put in my list of "words that send a chill down my spine the moment I read them." I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve watched the very first Jurassic Park movie, its scenes - especially the one with the kids and the raptors in the kitchen, sat on the very edge of my seat, and gotten thoroughly frightened. The initial scene of the movie itself, wherein they discover that the scientist has bred raptors sets an ominous tone for the rest of the movie. But all extinct, scary stuff aside, this word is fun to say out loud in an American accent, at least for me!

Image courtesy: Google © 

No comments:

Post a Comment