Saturday, May 9, 2020

May A-Z Challenge: A Pair of Favourite English Words [G]

Blog entry #35

Glimpse | Garnish



Glimpse
Saying this monosyllabic word containing a bilabial nasal immediately followed by a stop consonant, sounds like you're talking while gulping down a liquid! I loved saying this word right from when I was four years old. Naughtily peeking into something, or stealthily watching some TV for a bit when I've crossed my threshold, I'd happily say this aloud: "Aha I caught a glimpse of it!" The word glance isn't as fun to say as this one, even though they can be used interchangeably.

Garnish
Yet another fine dining word. You'll hear more of it when watching an episode of say, Masterchef Australia. Just like me, even my husband likes to say "let me garnish this plate with freshly cut cilantro" every time he cooks. But for me, it brings back a nostalgic memory of Mom and I attending late night concerts, those days late night meaning events that start after 7pm. This was when I was in the sixth grade. We'd take a quick detour to grab an early dinner at one of my favourite restaurants in Matunga in Mumbai called Garnish. One grilled sandwich and one watermelon juice was my standard order. I even remember us trying out their signature Paper Dosa once. It was huge!


Image courtesy: Google © 

No comments:

Post a Comment