Thursday, May 7, 2020

May A-Z Challenge: A Pair of Favourite English Words [D]

Blog entry #32

Diabolical | Deft


Diabolical
I knew this word since grade 6, because we had a Sudoku book, which contained puzzles of levels: Easy, Medium, Hard, Diabolical, and Fiendish. Diabolical puzzles were at least doable by us even if it took half hour. Fiendish was simply too difficult to even attempt when we were newbies at this logic and numbered-based game. Diabolical is synonymous to satanic. Emphasis on either the 'dia' or the 'bo' makes it sound really ominous.

Deft
I liked using this word ever since grade 4, and turns out Dad uses it often too. In grade four, my parents bought me this Enid Blyton book of short stories, called Look out for the elephant (also mentioned in my post on L in the cities challenge) I still remember the second story in this book - its name is easy to remember due to its alliterative nature: Jigsaw Jenny. In this, a girl Jenny has two younger brothers who make fun of her for continuously solving jigsaw puzzles all day long. One day the boys find a $5 bill torn into little pieces, and it’s Jigsaw Jenny to the rescue! As Enid Blyton so wonderfully puts it: "Jenny slowly started to put back the bill together,  her deft fingers working to separate the corner pieces from the ones in the middle." I owe more than half of my vocabulary, phrase and idiom knowledge to Enid Blyton, the rest to my parents and other books :) 

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment