Tuesday, May 19, 2020

May A-Z Challenge: A Pair of Favourite English Words [O]

Blog entry #43

Otolaryngologist | Onomatopoeia


Otolaryngologist
Although I knew this was the long version of an 'E-N-T' doctor, I liked saying it out loud as part of Sheldon’s dialog from only the second episode of The Big Bang Theory. I’ve also guessed this word as part of a game called Contact, in which players try to arrive at a person’s chosen word by coming up with other words that start with the same set of letters as the chosen word. It’s a fun car game for a group of four or more.

Onomatopoeia
Being my English teacher’s pet for a couple of years, I was always asked by her to spell this word to the class numerous times. No idea why this word was singled out. Aren’t there other tough words to spell too? Even shorter words like separate, received or occurred trip up a few sixth graders, don’t they? But this particular word has a fun meaning. Coming up with words such as sizzle, achoo, honk, boom, hiss, giggle is such an amusing activity. Thanks to owning, reading and re-reading hundreds of Amar Chitra Kathas throughout my childhood, I’m no stranger to onomatopoeic words. Thank you, Uncle Pai!


Image courtesy: Google © 

No comments:

Post a Comment