Thursday, May 28, 2020

May A-Z Challenge: A Pair of Favourite English Words [Y]

Blog entry #53

Yonder | Yoohoo


Yonder
Don't you just love archaic words? Well, I do, and this is one of them. It is fun to read out loud a soliloquy from Shakespeare's plays, such as the one below:
"But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun."
There is obviously no need to introduce the play or the character who uttered the above lines. How beautifully worded is the first line, so poetic! Imagine if Shakespeare were to replace it with its exact meaning: "A light came on in a window." How boring. Although I am familiar with the story of Romeo and Juliet, I hope to read the entire play as is, someday.

Yoohoo
Growing up watching a lot of teenage pop star soap-opera shows, I was no stranger to the gestural call out of 'Yoohoo!' Only after watching TBBT did I learn that there's a chocolate drink of the same name. Learning phrases, slangs, and jargon specific to certain cultures has always amused me. I tend to pick up quirky lines from the various shows I've watched and try to imitate the character when saying them out loud. I'm just waiting for an opportunity to respond like Sheldon when asked if he wants Yoohoo, and say, "It's hard to say no. The name literally beckons."

Image courtesy: Google ©

No comments:

Post a Comment